Advanced approaches to management of knowledge in the widest sense (including also related management of requirements, quality, change, documentation, etc.).
It is increasingly recognised that the conventional approaches to management of knowledge, information and data developed decades ago are inapplicable to the “big data” environment resulting from the exponential growth of the multi-disciplinary knowledge base supporting geological disposal.
The team have been involved in seminal studies of more advanced approaches to management of knowledge in the widest sense (including also related management of requirements, quality, change, documentation, etc.), which have been applied in the Japan and are gradually being incorporated into other national programmes. Like risk and uncertainty management, the tools developed are also applicable beyond radwaste and have already been applied to carbon capture and storage (CCS).
Relevant publications include:
- Umeki, H., Fujiyama, T., Nishikawa, S. and McKinley, I.G. (2019). Advanced Knowledge Management: sine qua non for holistic management of radioactive waste. Proc. IHLRWM 19, 83-90.
- Makino, H., Hioki, K., Umeki, H., Takase, H. and McKinley, I.G. (2011). Knowledge management for radioactive waste disposal: moving from theory to practice. Int. J. Nuclear Knowledge Management, 5, 93-110.
- Takase, H., McKinley, I.G., West, J., Kumagai, T. and Akai, M. (2010). Advanced KMS for Knowledge Sharing and Building Confidence in CCS, GHGT-10.
- Osawa, H., Hioki, K., Umeki, H., Takase, H. and McKinley, I.G. (2010). Use of the safety case to focus KMS applications. Proc. ICEM`09, (CD-ROM: data/pdfs/s52/ICEM2009-16348.pdf), 5 pp.
- Umeki, H., Ohsawa, H., Naito, M., Nakano, K., Makino, H. and McKinley, I.G. (2008). Knowledge Management - the Cornerstone of a 21st Century Safety Case. International Symposium: Safety Case for the Deep Disposal of Radioactive Waste: Where do We Stand?, 23-25, January 2007, Paris, 211-219.
- Sakabe, Y., Ueda, H., Hyodo, H., Ishiguro, K., Kitayama, K., McKinley, I.G. and Kaku, K. (2005). Implementation of a requirements management system for the Japanese HLW programme. Proc. IAEA Conf. Safety of Radioactive Waste Disposal, Tokyo.